Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Flashback - 9 months and counting

I would say that my pregnancy was quite hard. After the initial euphoria, a sense of anxiety set in that I couldn't shake all pregnancy. We had several scans early on with the FS to confirm the pregnancy, and everything looked good. I started feeling nauseous at about 4.5 weeks. At first James and I thought it was funny, a real sign of pregnancy. Until it got worse. I was sick all day, every day, and would vomit several times a day. The thought of food was horrible, so I actually lost a bit of weight in those first months. I felt really bad for my colleagues who had to see it all (and hear it too). I was sick every day until the day she was born.
At 14 weeks we had some unexplained bleeding, which was terrifying. We went up to the hospital but they couldn't find any cause. But I just wasn't enjoying being pregnant. I developed pubic symphisis disorder, and had troubles walking at times. I stopped using stairs if I could help it as I nearly fell down them once. After a fall at work I was convinced to stop work early, so finished up at 32 weeks. After a casual mention to my OB (a fantastic Irish doctor with a wicked sense of humour) that my heart was racing, she ordered some tests, and found I was getting regular sinus tachycardia's where my heart rate was above 150 bpm (apparently not a good thing to have your heart rate faster than your babies) so was put on medication. I hated that as I had only just stopped taking all of the IVF drugs at 20 weeks.
My blood pressure had been an issue all along, and so at 38 weeks I was admitted to hospital due to high BP. This would have been ok if it hadn't been Christmas Eve! I was allowed to go home, but only because it was Christmas, otherwise I would have had the baby delivered then I think. I probably should have stayed in hospital as I felt really sick for days after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment