Friday, September 17, 2010

Two words you don't want to hear

Two words you don't want to hear - Threatened Miscarriage. After the bleeding stopped Thursday, it started up again on Thursday night. I still didn't have any cramping but I did have a heavy feeling. James and I contemplated going up to the hospital but decided to wait until morning and go and see Warren.

After a restless night, I woke at 6am and called Warren who said to come in straight away. So we all quickly got showered, breakfasted and dressed and were out the door by 6:30 am. I was pretty impressed with that.

He did another scan, and there is bubba, wriggling away. But right next to it you could quite clearly see where the bleed was. Warren said that it was on the edge of the placenta but not the placenta itself. He also thought that the placenta was sitting quite low so I might have placenta praevia but wasn't really sure. He thought that the bleeding had mostly stopped for the time being.

Warren did say that he thought we would be ok, but I guess there are no guarantees in anything. He prescribed another drug that is not commonly used and is an anti-fibrinolytic which is supposed to stop the bleeding. He assured me it is safe to take, and I trust him, but it is one more drug to add to the already large cocktail. He also thinks I should be on bed rest but said I could do my last day at work since it was an office day. He didn't think picking up Charlotte was causing it, he really didn't know what was.

So I went to work and finished up all of my discharges and charts. I felt really bad as my manager wanted to extend my locum again and I had to say no. I feel like I've let him down and the team down as they are so desperately short staffed. But I was glad to finish and by the end of the day had wished that I had stayed away as when I got home there was more bleeding.

It seems to have slowed now - just that yucky brownish blood but I am still so anxious. James has been wonderful but I know he is so stressed too. I'm not on strict bed rest, just not supposed to go out of the house but I'm a bit too anxious to do much other than lie on the couch. And on top of that Charlotte has a mild (at the moment) case of conjunctivitis!

I managed to move my OB appointment up to this coming Thursday so I am looking forward to seeing her and talking about what we need to do now. I will let her advise me on whether I go back to work or not, and what drugs I stay on, although Warren said I can stop the progesterone and oestrogen tablets (I run out on Sunday) but to stay on the pessaries for a while. I guess we will have a quiet few days around here! Hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment