Sunday, May 13, 2012

A post for my Mum

I wrote a post a long time ago about Mothers day and how it has mixed feelings for me. I guess some of those feelings haven't changed. As a day, it doesn't have a huge meaning for me. I can still remember the pain of never knowing if I would celebrate it myself. And I am still so aware of how many people continue to share those feelings.

However I do like making the day a little bit special, as I think we should take a moment to reflect and celebrate any milestone. Today we had a lovely lunch. I got a gorgeous card and some chocolates and that is all I need. For once though, my own Mum was here, and I hope that she felt just a little bit spoilt today (with a card and chocolates too). Because my Mum doesn't seem to realise how special she is. I find this unfathomable, as she means so much to me. So this post is for her.


I would say we had a happy childhood. I never felt that we missed out on too much. Money was tight, but I never knew that. Sometimes I wished I had had the latest toy, or newest clothes, but then looking back now I know we didn't' need any of that.

What I have is memories of my Mum being there. I always thought she was a great cook. Making slices and biscuits all the time. Her lasagne was delicious (Tuesday night was always spaghetti bolognaise or lasagne, still my favourite dishes of all time). On Sunday nights we would occasionally have pancakes after watching Young Talent Time (the original that is) which was such a treat. Mum denies that she was a good cook, but I feel my confidence in the kitchen comes from her.

Mum was always there for every activity. She helped out at school, came to all the events, ferried us to and from school sports. She was just there. I remember once coming home sick from school and she sat in bed with me and read books all afternoon. And her cuddles were just warm and snuggly. I always loved that moment when I was snuggling into her, feeling so tired that I couldn't understand the conversation around me but could still hear her voice.


I also don't think my Mum understands how proud of her I am. She has a background in medical research (surprise surprise) but retrained as an enrolled nurse when we were in primary school. She came near the top in the state in her exams, and worked as a nurse for years. Her general knowledge is amazing (always has been - we used to sit and watch "A country practice" together and she would tell me what they were doing wrong tee hee) and I always admired her ability to juggle us, shiftwork, and just being a nurse. Of course that came in very handy when she had to help give me some IVF needles - you know you have a close relationship with your Mum when she is sticking a big needle in your arse!

Of course, as I've become a Mum I have really appreciated her calm, her strength, her stamina. She has been there for us for both the kids births. I wouldn't have gotten through the breastfeeding issues with Charlotte without her. Or any of the other "new mum" moments. She has taught me so much. And of course, having her here right now, has been lifesaving. I couldn't have come home from hospital if she weren't here, looking after the kids.

So to my Mum, even if you think you made mistakes, even if you think you aren't special, you mean the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment