Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A few more months

I really need to learn to pace myself better. After yesterday's great day, today wasn't so fabulous. Although I was really just a bit tired, with a bit of blurry vision, so still an improvement from where I've been.

And of course today I saw my neurologist for a follow up appointment. He is happy with how I'm going. The nystagmus has gone which he seemed very pleased with. I'm still having some difficulties tracking with my eyes. I also have a slight ataxia in my left hand (a tremor) and some slightly delayed reflexes which surprised me. He thinks that is due to the swelling still. I don't notice it unless I hold my hand out so it isn't a functional problem.

He did say though that some people after brain surgeries/injury/radiation develop a fatigue that can last 3-6 months. And I seemed to be one of those. Lucky me. There isn't too much I can do about it except ride it out, rest as much as I can, get help as needed. He really did emphasise the time part, but also that by 3 months I should be "back to normal".  Although he did mention a drug that they can give that boosts energy levels (I missed the name) but I think it might fall into an amphetamine category and he didn't really want to prescribe it just yet. Which I'm ok with. Yesterday WAS a good day. I will have more of them. I still managed another walk to the shops this afternoon so that is two outings in one day which is very impressive.

In the meantime I am to stay on the steroids. He seemed a bit unsure how to take me off them (he mentioned that he has been talking with my ENT, and will talk with my oncologist. I think I have them all a bit stumped). But I can stop the epilim over the next week which is good (I don't think that one is really helping too much, and it just makes my appetite go out of control!). I go back to see him in a month.

My goal over the next week is to take on more of the normal routine here, I'm so aware that Mum has been doing so much and we need to think about when she can head home. I am hoping that by the end of next week I will be able to cope on my own. Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment