Thursday, May 10, 2012

Baby steps

After those first few rough days at home, where I really really thought I should be back in hospital, I feel I am making baby steps forward. Today it is a month since I started going downhill. A whole month has passed, some of it in such a blur I have limited recollection of what happened.

But, yesterday I made pikelets for morning tea, and then we went for a walk to the shops (well a wobble). I managed to do some craft with Charlotte in the afternoon. Yesterday I also dropped down the dex dose so I expected today to be a bit harder. And I was dizzier this morning. But again we went to the shops, a friend popped in for a visit, and I managed to make some dessert (microwave self-saucing chocolate pudding, yumm). Charlotte helped too which was very cute.

This is such an improvement on the last few days. The fatigue is still unbelievable. I have no strength. And I am really forcing myself to do things. But baby steps. I am getting very frustrated with myself and really everyone around me so I do need to check that. It will all happen, even if I can't see when.

Also today a letter arrived from my neuro that I need to send to centrelink. We are trying to claim a special entitlement where for 13 weeks the full cost of childcare is covered due to exceptional circumstances. On the one hand I feel bad doing this. We can cover the cost, but it is an expense we wouldn't have had a month ago, and claiming this will make life so much easier and less stressful. And then I read the letter and, wow, it is very sobering. I definitely meet the requirement for "exceptional circumstance". The letter was very clear that I have a neurological impairment and need assistance, he didn't hold back. Now to finish that paperwork!

I have a goal that by next week I can easily walk to the shops without collapsing, and to get through the morning without a nap. And I can feel alot more baking coming on. The OT in me approves, but the weight loss part of me is slightly dismayed. One of the side effects of the meds is a HUGE appetite. I can eat and eat and eat and not feel full. I'm not sure baked goods are necessarily the best things to fill up on but oh well. Tomorrow I think I need some Anzac biscuits, for therapeutic purposes of course.









No comments:

Post a Comment