Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hyperemesis Gravidarum

Hyperemesis Gravidarum is a condition in pregnancy where you vomit, lots. It appears that I have it- probably best not to read on if you are a bit squeamish.

So after struggling along for the last few weeks, I had decided on Sunday night to call my FS by Monday. I was struggling to do basic things like go for a walk as I was so tired and feeling sick. Monday morning started as usual and then the vomiting hit. I couldn't keep anything down so called Warren and was able to get in to see him early. I still thought that I had OHSS but he checked me out and thought that I didn't. He did do an ultrasound but couldn't see anything (boo) although I have a 12mm follicle on my ovary which he said would be causing the pain I'm having. He diagnosed hyperemesis gravidarum and as I was dehydrated sent me up to the day theatres for 4 litres of fluid plus some protein. He also prescribed 60mg of prednisone to take for the next 2 weeks then taper off if the nausea is manageable. So I went up to the theatres and stayed there for about 5 hours. The nurses were so wonderful, I felt like a bit of a fraud - I just had some vomiting!

But when I got home I did some Dr Googling and I just about cried. I always though HG was only for constant and severe vomiting but it can also just be constant and debilitating nausea - really anything that starts at 5 weeks of pregnancy as well is HG. I had all of this with Charlotte! I had 9 months of living hell with that pregnancy. My life consisted of getting up, vomiting, going to work, vomiting in the car on the way, maybe eating lunch, maybe not, vomiting in the afternoon (not all the time, if I didn't then I sat there thinking about vomiting), going home, forcing myself to eat something, then sleeping. It was a nightmare, and nothing helped it. Everyone told me to eat crackers, ginger, all sorts of things and it just didn't help. I lost about 3 kg in the first few months and only put on 10kg the whole pregnancy - and I think it would have been less except I tended to retch alot more than I actually vomited. I think because of this I thought I didn't have it that bad but what I've read about HG retching is considered just as bad. It certainly felt it for me as I still had to run to the toilet, my body still felt exhausted from the spasms. And I couldn't tell when a retch would be a true vomit. So I don't think I got really dehydrated but other than that, it was hell.

What I've read also mentioned that socially and psychologically HG can be quite debilitating, and I have to agree with that. I think I began to resent being pregnant and definitely couldn't enjoy it. It kept up until about 20 weeks, then slowly improved, but I still had nausea and retching every day and about once a week I would have a big vomit. I think from about 33-36 weeks I felt good, then it got bad again.

So I am so relieved that Warren has diagnosed me with HG now. Today I felt alot better, still nauseous all day and I retched twice this morning, and haven't really eaten much, but so much better than the last few weeks. I rang up this morning to get the repeat beta results and it was 1800 which is fantastic, so I think I am starting to think that this is real, and it will all be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment