Sunday, May 16, 2010

What a week

Charlotte has had her second bout of illness. I know how lucky I am that at 16 months we have only had 2 real illnesses, but gee whiz this week has been hard. It started last Tuesday when she woke up from her nap with a fever of 38.6. I gave her some pandaol and we had a quiet afternoon on the couch. She seemed fine after that so I hoped that was it, until she woke up at 3am screaming with a temp of 39 degrees. She then promptly threw up everywhere. We went to the docs in the morning who said that it was just a virus but to keep an eye on her.

Viruses scare me. My brother had "just a virus" when he was about 8 I think and spent 2 weeks in hospital. My mum was talking about it the other day (I have been on the phone to her almost every day) and I can't imagine how scary it must have been for her. And then when I was in year 12 Mum herself came down with "just a virus" which affected her heart and nearly killed her. She was in intensive care for a while and was transferred to Brisbane so it was a pretty stressful time for us all. Thankfully we have had "just a virus" here, but I have been worried all week.

Charlotte had a temperature between 38 and 39 for 3 days with a bit more vomiting and also some diarrhoea. She has been so clingy as well and I have spent most of my time the last few days sitting on the couch with her. At one point she was literally holding on to me, I couldn't walk away from her. Saturday she seemed a bit better but then she developed a rash all over her. So I panicked a little, and we took her off to the doctors again, who said that it was still just a virus, but that it might be a few more days before it has run it's course.

I am still worried about her today. The temps have finally gone, but she is still very upset. Just then she was screaming and very distressed but wanting to go upstairs. I let her, and she went straight to her cot so I put her down and she is now asleep. She NEVER does this. We've also had terrible sleepless nights while she crys and then wakes up with an explosive diarrhoea. Speaking of which, I had better go and put out my umpteenth load of washing. I know this is part of life, but it sure is one part of parenting that they never prepare you for (the worrying part, the washing part is part and parcel!)

No comments:

Post a Comment