Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Better things to spend your money on

Last week, James and I went to the Home Show. The last time we went there was B.C (before children) and a lot has changed for us. Unfortunately, in that time, we have done very little to the house. I've blogged before about all the grand plans we had, and how we just never had the money.
However we finally feel that we are slowly getting back on top of things. Not only that, but I feel like we are entering a head space where we can actually think about doing things to the house. James and I both feel it is important to keep doing things and improving the house. Otherwise it will literally fall down around our ears.

With that in mind, we had a few things we were interested in looking at. Solar electricity was one of them. Thankfully there were several stalls there so we could see what deals were available. We approached one stall, and loitered a bit before the sales man approached us. What happened next left me quite gobsmacked.

We discussed what our needs were, and what they offered. The salesman was dismissive of us getting a higher kilowatt system. In fact, he was dismissive of us getting solar at all. He turned to me and said "there are probably better things you can spend your money on". We walked away from him quite amused. Perhaps he didn't think we were genuine buyers, however he didn't seem keen to sell to us at all. After thinking about his comment for a while, I actually then got a bit angry. Obviously this man didn't know us, or our story (nor should he really). But I'm not quite sure what he thought was a better thing to spend our money on. I'm sure he wouldn't think that spending $7k on cancer treatment was all that great a deal. Or $20k on conceiving children (especially when most of the population get to do that for free).

Ultimately his comment pushed us to actually sign up for solar (with another company). To us, being able to spend money on something that will improve the house, save us money, and be good for the environment etc is much more exciting thing than spending money on medical bills. And the radiation we bought last year has proved very ineffective at running any appliance. I did try to shoot laser beams out of my eyeballs, but alas it didn't work.

Of course we still have some grand plans for the house but that will involve a trip to the bank before we can do too much.

So with the salesman's comments ringing in my ears, I am reminded of that scene in Pretty Woman where she goes shopping and says "You work on commission right? Big mistake. Huge. I have to go shopping now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment