Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Our house

Our house is on a nice street, in a nice suburb. There are nice trees around it, and some nice parks. We can walk to our local shops which have nice people in it and the local schools are nice. Our neighbours are - mostly - nice. I can't see us moving from our house for a long, long time.

Yet I wish there were a few things I could change about our house. We have been here for 5 years now. I remember when we moved in we had so many plans. I even wrote them down. We had some short term plans (things to finish off within 12 months), some 5 year plans, and one or two bigger things that could wait a bit longer.

Well....I threw the list out a while ago. We had only crossed off one or two things. Unfortunately, we had some unexpected expenses (called Charlotte, Angus and blobby!) which put a dent in our renovation plans. We did spend the first year fixing up a lot of things that you never think of when you buy somewhere (we installed new guttering, resurfaced the roof, and fixed up some dodgy electrical work). And there were a few big things that we did manage to do. After the first summer here with temperatures in the upstairs bedrooms reaching 32 degrees, we installed ducted airconditioning. And of course we managed to renovate James home office. So I really should feel happy with what we've achieved.

But....I want a new kitchen. And a new bathroom (the shower screen is held together with duct tape). I have some grand plans to renovate the laundry, and I would love an outdoor kitchen (with some new paving too). I might need to make a new list. In the meantime, I am doing some renovation ogling, and a little bit of dreaming. Hopefully nothing else happens in the next five years to derail our plans!
Not my kitchen, but wouldn't it be nice!

What dreams do you have for your house?


No comments:

Post a Comment