Monday, February 13, 2012

Half of my life

17 years ago today, James and I decided that we might try to be girlfriend and boyfriend. Being Valentines day, we had had a date; he cooked me lasagne, I bought him a rose. 17 years, half of my life, and we are still together.

Being valentines day, I could write a whole lot of schmalsy stuff about how he is the best  husband in the world and how I love him dearly. I could demand flowers and chocolates as an outward sign of his love. But I don't need to (ok, well truthfully I could do with some chocolate, but James has already bought me a block of Lindt which is sitting in the fridge). This morning he walked downstairs, kissed me on the cheek, and said "I love you" and that is all I need.

Because he shows me how much he loves me everyday. Oh it hasn't all been happy families. We have had a few rough patches, but we worked through them. Doing IVF was tough on us. I won't lie, there were some times when I felt some resentment, that because of his fertility issues I was going through such heartache. But then I would realise that we are doing this together.

And now the tables have been reversed, and he is here for me. He was sitting next to me at the doctors' when we found out about blobby. He held my hand as the neurosurgeon told us surgery wasn't possible; and dried my tears. He drove me to appointment after appointment and took time off work, knowing he would have to make it up later. He sat next to me yesterday, holding my hand, as we waited to see if my brain was swelling; not knowing what may happen.

And through all of this he has been a wonderful, caring father. 

So I don't need any of those things that come on Valentine's day. I already have everything I need.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Janet ... having a blog does help I think. Just writing down thoughts and feelings is comforting .. sort of 'gets it out'. So often we cannot say to our friends and loved ones exactly how we are feeling or what is bothering us. Hang in there ... you are not alone with these feelings and fears. I find that a comfort in itself ... just to know I am not the only one!! I have had radiation therapy for mine (surgery not possible because of position) and so far so good. If you are going to have it then do not be afraid as its strange but painless. Best to you xx

    ReplyDelete