Wednesday, April 10, 2013

All kinds of awesome

 I am struggling a little at the moment with motherhood. I am tired. And being tired, and being a parent, are really incompatible. Well, being an energetic, engaged, understanding, creative Mum that is. I get very disappointed that I'm not the sort of Mum I want to be. But then who is? What if the mums I see out and about, with clean, happy, children are just faking? What if the pictures I see on other blogs and facebook groups are only the things that others want me to see? Of course we are all going to paint a happy face, but what if that is at the cost of thinking "I am alone; I am not doing this right" when really, we are all doing the same thing? Just trying to get through the day without resorting to alcohol and rocking in the corner.

So today I had an AWESOME day. Filled with all kinds of, well, awesome.

I started the day with a sleep in. Angus didn't wake until 6.38 am. Awesome! (he usually wakes at 6.18am. Give or take).

Once the kids were up and breakfasted, Charlotte decided that she wanted to do some painting. With my awesome parenting skills, I ensured that the mat was on the floor, and smocks were on. We had a great time painting bits of cardboard (Charlotte told me that they were for a dog house, who am I to argue). She then proceeded to mix up most of the paint. But I saw that it was a cool swirly pattern, so I quickly dipped some paper in and made some truly awesome pictures that we can then use to decorate cards with. The kids were happy. How awesome was I!

Swirly painted paper that looks really awesome

I cleaned up hands and faces, and hair, and was feeling pretty happy with myself. Probably should have checked their feet too before they walked all over the house.

Can you see the paint, that was oozing between the toes?
I then went and put the washing on, because I am such an awesome Mum and am completely on top of the cleaning. The kids were playing happily upstairs. So it was nice to walk into my room to see this: a dinosaur, barbie massacre.

Then I decided to make some fresh bread rolls for lunch. How awesome is that! The kids "helped". They truly did turn out awesome.
Fresh, homemade wholemeal rolls. Yummo
 
I may have made a bit of a mess. It may still be there, waiting for someone else to clean it up.

We went off to the shops to get things for dinner. I made a point to wash Angus' face before we went. I probably should have washed the paint of my legs too, but I was trying to show how awesome I was to everyone.  Perhaps I should have brushed my hair too.

Isn't she just delightful
To top off our day, we went for a play at the local park. After a few minutes, Charlotte decides that she needs to go to the toilet. Right there. Awesome. On the plus side, I did shower them both when we came home, so both children are clean and showered before dinner. Awesome. And I can feel happy that the floor is clean, in parts (mainly the part where Charlotte had yet another wee accident, Angus spilt his milo, and where the paint was. But if they keep this up the whole thing will be clean eventually). The washing is still drying so I don't have to feel guilty about not putting it away (it was a rainy day today).
Angus saying: "Mum, stop taking my picture and help me!"
While I write this, I can hear the kids happily playing together. It goes like this:
Charlotte: "Angus, don't hit me. Angy do you want to jump on me? Angus let's climb on the coffee table!"

So really today was all kinds of awesome. It just depends which way you look at it. I hope your day was awesome too.

No comments:

Post a Comment