Saturday, September 22, 2012

Happy 18 months Angus!

Angus is 18 months old today. I can't believe how fast that has gone. He is turning into a little man right before our eyes. I have been trying to hold onto my "baby" but I think I have to accept that he is now a toddler.

The last few months have seen quite a few changes in him. Sadly, I think of his development as before I went into hospital and after, as really there was a whole month where I hardly saw him. Of course there were some big things at that time - he stopped breastfeeding, and James managed to get him to sleep through (well some nights, he still doesn't sleep through every night, maybe one in 3).

During that time he also became attached to his blanket (or "blankie"). This has irritated me no end as it is an entire blanket, that he insists on carrying around (think Linus from Snoopy). Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with children getting attached to toys (Charlotte still has her elephant that she's had since birth). We have supplied him with no end of adorable stuffed toys, some of which he likes, but none are as precious as that blankie.

He also became more independent with his eating. Which is great. Now we just have to give him a bowl and a spoon and fork and he feeds himself. It can get a bit messy. For a while there we could tandem feed (we would both have a spoon and I could alternate mouthfuls) but now if I even approach him with a spoon it causes a bit of a tantrum. He is a tiny bit fussy with foods although pasta and carrots are his favourite. I think he picks up on what Charlotte will and won't eat and reacts accordingly. He certainly copies everything else she does!

Angus is definitely acting like a little boy. His favourite toy is a truck although he will happily play in the toy kitchen for ages on end. However he LOVES being outside. I am so grateful the weather is warming up as he never wants to come inside. And if there is water to play with, well.... Angus is also a bit of a climber, and a jumper. I caught him yesterday climbing up onto the ottoman, and then leaping from that onto the couch. Which sounds ok, except the couch was probably about 2 feet away. He did make it though, just, rolled off, giggled, and did it again. We are starting to see more and more of this mischievous side of him coming out.

One area of his development that I have been concerned with is his language. I know, all boys are slow, but I wouldn't be able to call myself a good OT if I wasn't worried about meeting milestones. Up until recently he really didn't have any words at all. And what words he did have actually disappeared (he went from calling us Mama and Dada to just being Mama). However I am delighted that since our holiday his vocabulary has increased dramatically. We are now getting a word every day which is great. I still think he is behind, and I will still keep an eye on it, but I am reassured that we are heading in the right direction.

I certainly have no worries about his comprehension. He understands everything we tell him and can easily follow directions. He is at that very sweet stage where he wants to help out with things. So he puts the cutlery from the dishwasher away, helps feed the cat, puts clothes in the basket etc. I do love this stage of development. Apart from the whingy, clingy behaviour that is. But then I also like getting cuddles.

When Charlotte was this age I had terrible morning sickness, and I know I felt bad that I couldn't really enjoy her. I am determined to treasure every moment of this wonderful age with Angus.

Playing in the TV cabinet, as you do

Playing at the beach. He was a bit scared of the waves but loved the sand

My adorable Angus








No comments:

Post a Comment