Monday, September 24, 2012

Blobby on the road trip

I thought I would write a separate post about how I, and blobby fared on the holiday. I wrote before we left how I was feeling very anxious about this. Overall, I did better than I thought.

The drive down was ok. I found that I was very nauseous every day. And when we stopped the car, blobby thought we were still moving so I had some terrible dizziness, but this did settle down after a few minutes. I found I got very tired after our few days out and about in Sydney, so we made the decision to pull back a bit on activities, and mainly on catching up with people (so my sincere apologies to anyone who wanted to see us and didn't). The lack of sleep was starting to knock me a bit, so having a quiet day once we got to Canberra was absolutely necessary. Even with this, by the time we had done the National Museum, I was done. I really couldn't have done too much more.

However it wasn't until the drive home that I really hit the wall. That day of driving was a bit too much. By the time we had made it to our hotel I was shattered. It is hard to describe, but my brain just shuts down. I can't think, or do basic things. It isn't a nice feeling.

Unfortunately, once we got home, I didn't quite have the chance to rest. The following day was a swimming day, and I had a billion loads of washing to do. The kids seemed a bit unsettled and both had been up during the night. By the Thursday I was really struggling; to the point where I nearly called up my neurologist to ask to be admitted. I was so nauseous, I felt like I wasn't coping.  James had to remind me that even though I felt bad, I was nowhere near as bad as at any time in the past.

Thankfully the kids went off to daycare on Thursday and I pretty much spent the whole day in bed. Friday was better, and by the following Monday I was feeling nearly "normal". (well as normal as I ever feel).

I am glad that I had increased my dex before we went. I don't think I would have made it through the week without that. Unfortunately it has now given me some insomnia (I probably had that a bit while we were away but was so tired from doing things that it balanced out. But now I am rested again it is kicking in) which is frustrating as it makes me even more fatigued during the day. 

So generally I was pleased with how well I coped. I have to remind myself that I can do these things without falling into a heap. Yes I do have to factor in more rest time, but I don't have to be afraid of what blobby is going to do to me. So we now have to get back into a normal routine. I have started a resistance progam at the gym and am now going 4 days a week so hopefully that will help with my energy levels as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment