Sunday, January 15, 2012

No more excuses

It is that time of year where everyone makes resolutions, and promptly breaks them. I don't believe in resolutions, but I have made one this year. I resolve to get healthy. I have no more excuses; I have been very good at making them over the years. At first I was studying at uni. Then working 60 hour weeks. Then we were TTC and the stress was taking it's toll, then pregnant with Charlotte, then TTC again. Even though I didn't put on much weight with Angus I did go on a bit of a binge after he was born (and my gestational diabetes had gone). I recognise that I am a comfort eater and when I am feeling down I like nothing more than curling up on the couch with a big bowl of pasta and a chocolate cheesecake.

But no more. At no other time in my life do I have such a pressing need to get fit and healthy. Blobby is sapping my energy so I need to be  healthy to handle what he may throw at me.

Both James and I have resolved to get healthy. Notice I have not mentioned the word diet. I don't believe in them. I think it is a simple equation. If you eat more than your body burns off, you will put on weight. So get rid of excess calories and boost up your exercise and you should see improvements. Simple.

After the excesses of Christmas and Charlotte's birthday, it is pretty easy to want a healthier approach. We have rid our house of any treats. Not that we ate that much to begin with but no more ice-cream after dinner, no juices or soft drinks. Watch our portion sizes. Limit cheese and butter and no takeaways. And hardest of all, limit my baking to once a week. I have become quite fixated on fresh food. I don't want my family to eat any processed foods, it really worries me the amount of hidden sugar and salt that are in basic things. So we try make all our meal bases from scratch and we have bought a juicer to make fresh juice (did you know that freshly squeezed apple juice is pink, not that browny colour you see in the bottles).

In addition, I have gone back to the gym. I have to be realistic about what I can manage, but so far I've been able to do 30 mins on the cross trainer 3 times a week. This week I will try for 40 mins. I am really disappointed that I can't do pilates. Before I got pregnant with Angus I was going 3 times a week. However, after the last class, where just standing on my toes with my eyes closed set off a vertigo attack, I know it is too much. I also can't do the treadmill. It is too confusing for my brain which thinks I'm moving but the eyes tell it that it isn't.

 I don't excpect to turn into a supermodel with this approach, but it would be nice if I could drop a dress size. I have already lost 1.5 kg and am starting to feel a little better, even though I've found it very hard at the gym the last few days. I have to keep telling myself that this is to make me healthy for the future. Blobby will not defeat me.






No comments:

Post a Comment