Saturday, August 20, 2011

A little bit of OCD

Having children has helped me understand myself better. And one aspect of my personality that has become clearer is that I am a little bit obsessive compulsive. Just a little, and only about a few things. Now I am pretty sure that I am not alone in this trait. My mother in particular is very OC about loading the shopping trolley, and hanging out the washing. James needs to have sets of things. My issue is with wastage. I have thought alot about this recently. I wouldn't say I am a hoarder, but I hate to waste things. So I keep items if I think it will be useful. I try to get every last drop out of the toothpaste or the shampoo. I never impulse buy and it takes me ages to consider buying something (I have to weigh up the pros and cons of spending the money vs. buying the item). I remember when I was a uni student I used to re-write my notes, but I would try to write as small as I could so that I didn't waste paper. And James parents particularly press my buttons with their ridiculous Christmas presents (a dressing gown that is 3 sizes too large, seriously).

So you can imagine that having a toddler really stretches my OC tendencies. Particularly at the moment. Charlotte has begun to really enjoy painting, drawing, making pictures. She particularly likes "gooing" or glueing to you and me. I have kept over the years lots of sparkly bits and pieces, and have bought some art and craft kits that contain googly eyes, stickers etc. Charlotte loves this, and we have made lots of pictures. I tape a large piece of paper to the walls and let her paint and stick things on. This week we have been making lots of dinosaurs and monsters. We even made some monsters from egg cartons. But I have found myself reusing all the bits and pieces because I just can't stand the thought of wasting them.

But worst of all is that Charlotte loves to transfer the bits and pieces (hearts, stars, little jewels, dozens and dozens of them) from container to container. And then on the floor. Each time she does I can't help myself, I'm down on all fours trying to pick them up. It is driving me bonkers. Because within 5 minutes of all them being restored to their rightful place, Charlotte has tipped them out again. AAAAARGH. At least I know she is getting some enjoyment from watching her mummy crawl around the floor, madly picking up tiny hearts and stars. I'm sure this will cure my OCD - one day.
Painting on our wall- and wasting paint also bugs me. Deep breaths

No comments:

Post a Comment