Monday, June 4, 2012

On our own

Mum left today. After being here for 5 weeks. Wow. We miss her already, although I am sure she is sitting at home in the peace and quiet right now and going "aaaaahhh". She has been incredible. There is nothing she hasn't done in the past few weeks. From changing wet beds in the middle of the night to doing cleaning, changing nappies, wiping snotty noses, making lunches, feeding children, chasing, playing; basically being there. Not least was the emotional support she has given James and I, and for that we will be forever grateful.

One thing Mum has done is break a few of my bad parenting habits.  Yes, shocking I know, but I had some bad parenting habits. Like letting Charlotte eat toast on the couch. But we don't do that now which is great. And we seem to have formed a bit of a better morning routine than what we had before I got sick which always makes life easier.

I feel this last week I've been a bit stagnant in my recovery. Still good days and bad days. I dropped down the dex dose on Wednesday, and Thursday was a terrible day. I woke up with bad vertigo, and terrible fatigue. It didn't help that Angus was up  for 2 hours in the middle of the night, so I didn't have much sleep. However James and I had booked Gold Class movie tickets for that night (hey, we only had a few nights left with a free babysitter!) so I was determined to go out. We had been given quite a few vouchers for Christmas from various family members and all combined it meant we could have a very indulgent night with movies and food and wine. That counts as my dinner out (I've been craving a restaurant meal, well it wasn't quite that but it was still dinner out).

I am still getting some odd symptoms. The hand tremor is actually getting worse. It is very noticeable on some days, such that I have difficulties holding things. On a bad day, my memory is absolutely terrible. I get this strange fuzzy sensation in my forehead and I can't think straight. I've also been getting quite a few headaches. I've also noticed on bad days that my balance is worse than say a few weeks ago. I'm seeing the neurologist next week so will obviously bring all of this up with him. I am very tempted to increase my  medications again but don't want to do that. One great thing about dropping the dex is that for the first time in weeks I have had a good, solid 7 hours of sleep!! It only happened the once (thanks to two children for sleeping through) but, I am actually sleeping again.

Now that Mum has gone James and I need to work on getting back to normality and our routine. I'm still very fatigued, and by about 11am I am hanging out for a sleep. I've been having a nap while Angus naps and we are going to keep doing that. This is one of the perks of James working from home, he can keep an eye on Charlotte while I have a lie down. It is only for 3 days as the kids are in daycare the other two. I also find by late afternoon that I've had enough for the day, so sitting on the couch and watching playschool is about all I can manage.

However today hasn't been as bad a day as I feared. Charlotte played playdough for well over an hour this morning, and surprisingly Angus didn't want to eat it. We then had a play outside while I hung some washing. Afterr our nap we managed a trip to the shops, and had an early tea. I think I need to go and have an early night now, but here's hoping to more days like today.








No comments:

Post a Comment